Check out our current issue!
Twisted Vine is an eclectic journal with an interdisciplinary slant, seeking experimental and traditional works that are unique and creative. We have a particular interest in pieces that challenge or redefine expression in new and inviting ways and we are committed to publishing both emerging and established artists.
Twisted Vine Literary and Arts Journal is committed to publishing both emerging and established literary and visual artists.
Twisted Vine seeks to represent an eclectic mix of ideas and values. We look for both experimental and traditional forms of prose and poetry, and want to provide a diverse experience for our readers. We have a particular interest in pieces that challenge or redefine expression in new and inviting ways and we are committed to publishing both emerging and established artists.
During open submission periods, we accept submissions of original, unpublished work in the following categories:
- Poetry – up to three poems, and a maximum of 5 pages, with each poem beginning a new page. Twisted Vine accepts both traditional and experimental poetry. We do not adhere to any specific guidelines for style or content and only ask that your poems reflect artistic excellence. We highly encourage poems that represent interdisciplinary themes. Along with the written version of the poem, contributors are welcome to submit audio or video readings of their poetry for consideration on our website as well.
- Fiction – one story, up to 4000 words. We are looking to compile a diverse body of work that represents the interdisciplinary theme of our journal. We encourage stories that have strong narration, character development, plot, and remain literary in essence.
- Creative Nonfiction – one essay, up to 2500 words. We are looking for wide-ranging submissions in this genre that compliment our interdisciplinary focus. We are open to a broad range of material, including hybrid forms which maintain a literary essence.
- Visual Arts – 2-D works in any combination of media, up to 3 images total. With an interdisciplinary interest in mind, the Visual Arts Editor looks for original, unpublished, unique, and creative imagery. We accept photography, painting, collage, graphic art, digital art, comics, printmaking, drawing, mixed media, and tattoo drawing, all in .jpg or .jpeg format.
Please limit submissions to one per genre category. Once you have received a response from us, you are welcome to submit again.
Formatting, Submission Instructions, and Review Procedures:
- All written material submitted should be in Arial or Times New Roman 12 point font, double spaced, and adhere to basic guidelines of grammar and spelling (with obvious exceptions for creative license).
- Twisted Vine adheres to a blind review policy, so we ask that you do not include any identifying information within your submission. To the best of our ability, authors, and artists remain anonymous during our selection process.
- Once submissions are selected for publication, the contributor’s name will be revealed to the staff and additional information may be requested. Because this is a university press, we follow the standard academic calendar. Please do not submit queries until 6 months after the submission deadline. Editors will not respond outside of the semester calendar.
**Please note – internal submissions from Western New Mexico University staff and faculty will not be accepted.