Twisted Vine Literary Arts Journal seeks to publish both emerging and existing literary and visual artists. We seek works that represent an eclectic mix of ideas and values. We look for both experimental and traditional forms of prose and poetry, and want to provide a diverse experience for our readers. We have a particular interest in pieces that challenge or redefine expression in new and inviting ways and we are committed to publishing both emerging and established artists.
Please read the information below carefully, before submitting your piece!
Formatting, Submission Instructions, and Review Procedures:
- All written material submitted should be in Arial or Times New Roman 12 point font, double spaced, and adhere to basic guidelines of grammar and spelling (with obvious exceptions for creative license).
- Twisted Vine adheres to a blind review policy, so we ask that you do not include any identifying information within your submission. To the best of our ability, authors, and artists remain anonymous during our selection process.
- Once submissions are selected for publication, the contributor’s name will be revealed to the staff and additional information may be requested. Because this is a university press, we follow the standard academic calendar. Please do not submit queries until 6 months after the submission deadline. Editors will not respond outside of the semester calendar.
**Please note – internal submissions from Western New Mexico University staff and faculty will not be accepted.
Categories of Work and Guidelines (please submit only original and unpublished work in the following categories):
- Poetry – up to three poems, to a maximum of 1000 words total. Twisted Vine accepts both traditional and experimental poetry. We do not adhere to any specific guidelines for style
or content and only ask that your poems reflect artistic excellence. We highly encourage poems that represent interdisciplinary themes. Please submit no more than six (6) poems per
document. Along with the written version of the poem, contributors are welcome to submit audio or video readings of their poetry for consideration on our website as well.
- Short Literary fiction – one story, up to 5000 words. Please limit short literary fiction to no more than 5,000 words. We are looking to compile a diverse body of work that represents
the interdisciplinary theme of our journal. Stories should have strong narration, character development, plot, and must remain literary in essence.
- Creative nonfiction – one essay, up to 5000 words. Creative non-fiction submissions are limited to 5,000 words. We are looking for wide-ranging submissions in this genre that
compliment our interdisciplinary focus. We are open to a broad range of material, however your submission must remain literary in essence.
- Visual arts – any combination of media, up to 3 images total. We accept photography, painting (any media), collage, graphic art, comics, and drawing. We accept original graphic
art, photography, paintings/drawings, cartoons and all others forms of visual art in .jpg or .jpeg format. We are not genre specific, but will give preference to pieces that capture the spirit of
our interdisciplinary theme. You may submit up to six (6) images that represent a cohesive collection. If submitting more than one image, please title each image file with the same name and
corresponding numbers (example: Carnival1, Carnival2, Carnival3, etc) and submit as a ZIP file. Editors reserve the right to publish any part or all of a collection submitted.
- Interviews – Twisted Vine accepts interviews. Please limit transcribed interviews to 4,500 words or less. Stylistically, we want interviews that discuss interdisciplinary studies,
literature, and, the arts at large. The edgier the better, but keep it above the belt.
Please limit submissions to one per genre category. Once you have received a response from us, you are welcome to submit again.
Twisted Vine is not interested in gratuitous sex, violence, or other material for shock value. Any submission to Twisted Vine that does not meet submission guidelines will be deleted immediately.
If you get picked up by another publication please let us know by adding a note to your submission; do not withdraw the entire submission.
Follow Twisted Vine at
@TwistedVineJournal on Facebook, and
#twistedvinewnmu on Twitter.
Twisted Vine Literary Arts Journal is run by students in the Master of Arts Interdisciplinary Studies program at Western New Mexico University. Surrounded by Gila National Forest, Western New Mexico University dates to 1893 and serves 3500 students in 70 fields of study. We look forward to viewing your submissions!